Customized Athletic Mouth Guards Offer Excellent Protection
If you or your child plays sports, you may be missing an important piece of safety equipment. Athletic mouth guards can protect your smile during practice or the big game. Although many sporting goods stores sell premade mouth guards, dentist-provided devices offer the highest level of protection. Dr. Stephen K. Malone and his associate can provide a comfortable mouth guard that will protect your teeth without impeding your breath or performance. To learn more about athletic mouth guards at Knoxville Dentist, schedule an appointment today.
The Importance of Athletic Mouth Guards
Coaches, parents, and athletes often overlook the importance of athletic mouth guards. However, these small, affordable devices are often the easiest and most effective way for athletes to protect their oral health. Mouth guards can prevent missing teeth, broken teeth, and other dental damage. They can also protect your soft oral tissues. Finally, mouth guards can stabilize your jaw and reduce your risk for TMJ Disorder.
The American Dental Academy® estimates that athletes who do not wear mouth guards have double the risk of a dental injury. Mouth guards are most essential for those who play high contact sports, like football, rugby, and boxing. However, other athletes can benefit from the devices, too. For example, gymnasts and skateboarders can sustain a dental injury during a fall. Therefore, mouth guards are a good idea for them, as well.
Different Types of Mouth Guards
There are two primary types of mouth guards:
- Stock mouth guards: You can find premade devices at almost all sporting goods stores. They typically run under 20 dollars and come in a few standards sizes.
- Boil and bite mouth guards: Also premade, these mouth guards are made of a special plastic. When you drop them in boiling water, the devices will soften. As you bite down on the mouth guard, it will adhere to the shape of your teeth.
- Dentist-provided mouth guards: Dr. Malone can provide a mouth guard that is specially made to match the exact dimensions of your mouth.
Why Choose Athletic Mouth Guards from Dr. Malone
Professionally crafted, custom-made mouth guards offer several important advantages over their store bought counterparts. These benefits include:
- Comfort: Our devices will fit securely in your mouth. The smooth material will not irritate your soft tissues.
- Unimpeded breathing: Bulky, premade mouth guards can sometimes inhibit breathing and affect your athletic performance. Dr. Malone will closely examine your entire oral and facial structure to ensure a good fit.
- Effectiveness: Because dentist-provided mouth guards fit more securely around your teeth, they provide more comprehensive protection.
Professionally made athletic mouth guards do cost more than premade devices. However, if you are an avid athlete, they are an invaluable investment in your health and smile.
Schedule Your Consultation
To learn more about athletic mouth guards and to get fitted for your custom-made device, contact Knoxville Dentist today. Dr. Malone and his associate, Dr. Erin L. Noble, proudly serve patients in the greater Knoxville area. Our patients come from Powell, Karns, Farragut, Seymour, Maryville, Oak Ridge and the surrounding communities.